Saturday, October 4, 2008

Family Definition

I come from a family of 6 with 4 kids. Both of my parents come from 6 person families with 4 children in each. Therefore, I have 11 Uncles and Aunts (after marriages). This has resulted in having 15 or so cousins for me. Bird comes from a family of 8 with 6 kids. His dad comes from an 8 person family as well with 6 children and his mom's family is that of 4 persons with 2 children. Therefore, Bird has 12 Uncles and Aunts (after marriages). This has resulted in 24 or so cousins for him. These numbers may seem big or small to some of you I'm sure, but either way is beside the point. The chances of us getting anymore 1st cousins is pretty slim considering the ages of our Aunts and Uncles. Now here's the point.
Our children have 15 cousins already. Bird's side of the family has 9 (3 of which were just born this year) and not all of his siblings have even had children yet and I don't think that the ones who have had children are finished. My side of the family has 6 (with twins being expected in late spring of '09). After the twins are born (congrats to my brother and sister-in-law), I'm fairly sure I will be the only one having anymore kids on my side, although, my sister is planning on adopting a few I think. I guess this isn't really all that exciting, but I found it quite interesting that they have already caught up to me and are quickly passing me by well on their way to their dad's number with no end in sight.
When I read what I have wrote I realize that I'm not even getting into the half of it, my brother and sisters and I only share one parent, which means there are that many more siblings and cousins due to other marriages that I can't even go into because I don't really know. With such a large extended family, what amazes me the most is that our families are forever growing and changing, but no matter how much growth and change takes place they are still our families, they are who we are, who we will become, and once we are gone, who we were. Our families have defined us (whether we like it or not) through the years that have past and will define us in the years to come. I absolutely love my family and would never in a million years change any one of them. I love who I am and where I have come from, and if I were to change anything I wouldn't be me and I'm not sure I'd like that very much.
Our children have a luxury that me and Bird did not have growing up. They are super close with their cousins. They get to play and have fun with them about once a week. It's like being on recess at school everytime we get together. I love that we have such a big family and I love that it is forever growing.

No comments: